Imagine, for a moment, what it would be like if everyone across the entire globe decided to dance simultaneously. Friday, March 18th is your chance to not only experience this reality, but to participate yourself: it’s Beth Fein’s 7th annual dance anywhere®. As of this writing, the countdown is on:
1 day, 20 hours, and 58 minutes to go!
• noon in San Francisco
• 3pm New York City
• 8pm in Rome
Join thousands of others all over the world- tap your foot, shake your moneymaker, waltz, breakdance, or simply strut your stuff with friends, colleagues or strangers on the street…. or crank the tunes at your toddler’s birthday party.
Fein conceived the event in 2005 as a means to bring dance into the public arena, to dissolve the line that often separates art and dance from our daily lives. As a dancer and visual artist herself, Fein believes that dance can and should be shared by all, and that dance of all types in all places has value, even if it’s not a polished performance in a recognized theater. Plenty of others agree: in 2010, dance anywhere® gathered dancers from 6 continents, 27 countries and 316 cities.
The mission of dance anywhere® is simple:
• Engages people worldwide in a simultaneous world wide public art -dance performance
• Builds community through dance and art
• Inspires audiences to reconsider the definition of art, public space and community
• Makes art accessible to all by bringing dance to public spaces
• Develops audiences for live performance by exposing new people to dance
• Encourages the audience to change their world with art & dance
You might be saying to yourself no way! Or I’m shy or why should I? There are actually plenty of great reasons why you should:
• It feels great to move your body- and who couldn’t use more exercise?
• The world could certainly use more good energy right about now
• Dance is a tremendous outlet of expression
• Did someone say photo op?
And anyway, it’s a great idea. No excuse for shyness, either! The dance anywhere® photo gallery is filled with photos of people dancing in their gardens or living rooms…Whether you just love to dance or are itching to perform without going through the rigors of auditions, applications, and rehearsals, Friday is the time to shine.
For more info, visit the dance anywhere® site: